Friday 21 March 2014



Uni foodie :)

As a student in halls it is important to me that I eat well even though I'm not living at home.
At first when I moved out I slacked massively with food. I either couldn't be bothered to cook or didn't want to go shopping for ingredients so I was a bit lazy and rubbish.
However, after watching various youtubers cook and read different blogs I have actually started to really enjoy cooking my meals!
As well as cooking my own meals, I look forward to my fortnightly shop I tend to plan ahead in meal groups as well as the odd snack and treat of course!
My lovely grandmother sent me a great cook book called 'From Pasta to Pancakes, the Ultimate Student Cookbook'. I love it as it combines some healthy meals with salads, sweet treats and cooking for the masses.

However, after cooking most of the recipes in the book I started looking for more meals to make but the problem is, a lot of them are way too complicated, time consuming and expensive!
So, I've complied a few of my fave meals to cook at University :)
The pictures are a bit crap but I may make this a regular fixture if it goes down well!

Enjoy!
Emma xoxo


The first recipe is for Tuna pasta bake.
Ingredients used: Frozen mixed vegetables
Milk
Tuna bake sachet (cheat way of making the sauce)
Tinned tuna
Cheese

All you do, is mix the sachet with the milk etc that is on the packet over the hobb in a saucepan. Mix in the vegetables untill heated through then pop in the tuna. Transfer it into a glass or ceramic dish, grate the cheese on top and put under the grill until the cheese melts/crisps up and voila!

The next recipe is Butter Chicken.
I used a jar of Pataks Butter Chicken sauce as it is much easier than making a sauce.
Boil in the bag rice - as this helps portion control
Onions
Chicken Breast or Thigh
Rocket salad

All I did was cut the chicken into pieces, fry some onions around in a little oil.
Then brown the chicken in with the onions.
I then added the sauce to the onions and  chicken and cooked until piping hot.
To cook the rice, you basically follow the instructions on the box!
Easy peasy, and I threw some rocket and watercress on top.
Yummy!


My next recipe is Chilli Con Carne.

You will need:
Chilli Con Carne seasoning sachet, mine was made by colmans. You follow the instructions on the packet - I'm pretty sure it just involves water!
You need to brown the mince in a little oil - you can chose to fry onions just before that if you wish.
I then chose to add a tin of ratatouille which is a combination of tomato, peppers and courgette; or if you prefer just tinned tomatoes.
I then added red kidney beans for more texture and finally the sachet mixture.
Again I used packet seasoning but this is honestly cheaper and gives a better result!
You boil the rice to the time it says on the box :)
I always grate cheese on my chilli but the traditional way would be with sour cream or guacamole.
This next meal is one which I created with the remains of my fridge before a shop. This was so so easy but i thought it tasted amazing!
It's Philadelphia cream cheese, with red salmon and rocket salad.
I boiled penne pasta first and while it was cooking I added two tablespoons of cream cheese into a pan with one tablespoon of milk.
I then seasoned it and stirred until it was to my desired texture.
I then stirred in tinned red salmon and once the pasta was cooked I simply stirred it through.
Top with salad and thats it!
My final recipe is probably the tastiest and simplest meal that I've cooked since moving to University.
All I did was boil pasta.
Cooked down some tinned tomatoes in a saucepan with a teaspoon of sugar.
Added some fresh plum tomatoes, black olives and chopped chorizo and that is literally it.
Not to toot my own horn but it tasted so flavourful and took about 10 minutes to make.


I know this blog post is not make-up related but I just thought I'd share my recipes with you guys!
Thanks for taking time to read!:) 
Emma xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment