Wednesday 5 February 2014

Anxiety Talk

Hello,
This is a very different blog post for my blog but it's something which has been really strongly present in my life in the last four months or so.
And that has been my anxiety.
I have been suffering with anxiety and panic for about 6 months now but have always mildly had a very trigger specific form of anxiety in direct relation to food.
I have never had a good relationship with food for as long as I can remember. I'm not comfortable eating at other peoples houses, restaurants, parties - even if I'm with family. Which has always been an issue in my life.
I would get a massive hit of panic, I'd feel sick to my stomach and sometimes would actually throw up if I know I'm eating somewhere I'm not comfortable.
I can remember whenever I had to eat around a past boyfriend and his family I would become very cold and sweat, I'd feel sick, tearful and generally like I wanted to run. They had very strict eating rules too, they considered it rude if you couldn't finish all of your food or if you refused to eat and they didn't understand the way I was feeling. It basically resulted in me sitting at the table for a good hour hoping they would take the plate away. It had nothing to do with the food I was eating. His parents were great cooks and I'm not a fussy eater at all. I just couldn't eat!
More recently it has become eating anywhere other than my own house or my current boyfriends house. I feel completely happy and relaxed when I'm in either of those two places and eat away happily! However I panic when I have to eat in a restaurant even if I'm with my immediate family. Not good.
The most recent development in relation to my anxiety is being recently diagnosed with IBS which is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It is VERY random and attacks can spring on me at any time of the day. However, my form of IBS is very much linked to anxiety, stress or pressure. If I have to go to work, lectures at Uni, meetings or social events I will get a severe bout of my IBS. Theres no real polite way to say this but let's just say I HAVE to get to a bathroom asap or bad things happen! Some people get strong cramps with constipation but with me it's the opposite.
As you can imagine this effects my whole life. It makes it almost impossible to do anything. Often my anxiety and IBS is so bad I can't even pop to my local shops or meet a friend for a coffee - things which I have never had a problem with until recently.
I am now seeing a counsellor and a mental health advisor at my University and after just one session I immediately feel more positive and calm. I've got a long way to go with coping and managing my anxiety but I hope it will eventually be sorted.
The only practical advice I can give for both topics is have safety nets for yourself. For example if I know I'm going somewhere where I'm likely to have an IBS attack or anxiety attack I'll take Imodium with me to calm my stomach and give me peace of mind, water to sip for my nausea and just let the people I'm going with or meeting with know in advance event though it can be difficult and embarrassing to admit. This takes some of the pressure off and helps to ease my symptoms.
If you would like to know more about how I'm affected or if you simply need advice or to know you're not alone then feel free to comment below and I'll try my best to answer any of your questions :)

It will get better!
Emma xoxox

1 comment:

  1. I have just nominated you for the Liebster award, check out my blog to carry on the nomination process!
    www.myprettyapparel.blogspot.co.uk

    xxx

    ReplyDelete